Reasons to Consider Hymenoplasty
The reasons to consider vaginoplasty are private and personal. Some reasons that our patients have sought vaginoplasty include:
- Tightening the vagina after childbirth. After having a child, many women experience loosening of the vagina and wish to have the surgery in order to improve sexual performance and to have greater confidence in bed.
- Tightening a wide vaginal canal. As women age, the vagina often becomes looser. As a result, sexual pleasure can decrease and a woman may have vaginal tightening in order to attempt to regain the sexual pleasure that she previously had with a tighter vagina.
- Improving sexual confidence. Women lacking in sexual confidence may find that tightening of the vaginal wall will not only improve sexual experience but also provide confidence in bed.
- When Kegel exercises fail. Kegel exercises are helpful to some women, but for recent mothers, the vaginal canal often becomes too wide to be returned to its former tightness with exercises alone. Vaginoplasty can provide a solution for these women.
Women who choose to have a vaginoplasty, often have other symptoms that include:
- Decreased sensation and stimulation during intercourse.
- A vaginal opening that is unpleasing in appearance.
- Tampons falling out.
- Partner slipping out during intercourse.
- Tissue protruding from the vagina.
Whatever reason you have for choosing vaginoplasty, Dr. Jugenburg and his staff will provide a caring, supportive environment for your procedure. Dr. Jugenburg has extensive experience and expertise in genital cosmetic surgery.
Am I a Candidate for Vaginoplasty?
Women who have vaginal laxity and loosening of the vaginal walls and who want a tighter vagina are candidates for vaginoplasty. Whether it’s a result of childbirth or age, or if you simply desire a tighter vagina, Dr. Jugenburg can help.
If you are planning to have vaginoplasty, you should be in good health and not be pregnant. If you recently went through childbirth, you should wait about 12 months before having vaginoplasty. You also may be a good candidate for vaginoplasty if you:
- Want to improve the appearance of your genitals
- Want to restore your self-esteem and regain your self-confidence
- Want to rejuvenate your love life
Other reasons that require vaginoplasty include:
- Dramatic weight changes
- Chronic cough or straining with constipation
- Heavy lifting at work or with weight lifting
The best way to determine if you’re a candidate for vaginoplasty is to have a consultation with Dr. Jugenburg.
Additional Procedures: Labiaplasty
Some women have an uneven, enlarged, or asymmetrical labia minora and/or labia majora. This can cause embarrassment, and can result in pain during intercourse. Labiaplasty is the surgical reconstruction or reduction of the outer or inner lips of the vagina.Many women choose to have labiaplasty at the same time as vaginoplasty.
Using special surgical reconstructive techniques, Dr. Jugenburg can create a thinner, more comfortable and more appealing size and shape with very natural looking results.The goal of labiaplasty is to preserve most of the natural contour, pigmentation and sensitivity of labia minora with minimal scarring.
There are several different methods of labiaplasty, including reduction, central wedge resection and de-epithelialization.
- Reduction (amputation): The labia minora are cut and reduce in size using either a scalpel or laser.
- Central Wedge Resection: The natural edge is retained and a part or wedge of excess tissue is removed from the middle of the labia.
- De-epithelialization: Layers of tissue on both sides of the labia are removed using a scalpel or laser.
Dr. Jugenburg will discuss the different approaches with you and determine the best approach based on your needs, goals and specific anatomy. Learn more about labiaplasty surgery here.
What Can You Expect With A Vaginoplasty
During the initial consultation, there will be a female nurse present to help our patients feel more comfortable and secure.
During your initial consultation, Dr. Jugenburg will:
- Discuss the procedure and any related procedures
The doctor will discuss the procedure with you, and answer any questions you may have. You will be able to tour our state-of-the-art surgical facility located in the beautiful Fairmont Royal York Hotel. .
During the procedure, Dr. Jugenburg will enhance vaginal muscle tone, strength and control. The surgery decreases the internal and external vaginal diameter while tightening the vagina, and strengthen the perineal body, while removing any excess vaginal lining. There are different tools used to perform this. Laser is often advertised as in the Laser Vaginal Rejuventation or Laser Vaginoplasty. Dr. Jugenburg performs this procedure with a similar instrument which is even safer than the laser.
The procedure will take 1-2 hours, and all scarring with vaginoplasty is internal. Vaginoplasty will help restore the vagina and its supporting structures to a pre-pregnancy state.
The Recovery Process
You can usually go home a short time after your procedure, but resting and relaxation is important.
Following your surgery there will be some bruising, swelling and pain. You will have a vaginal pack, which includes a white gauze outside of the opening of the vagina. It is to be removed the morning after your surgery. The swelling may last anywhere from two to four weeks.
Your discomfort will be controlled by the pain medication prescribed by Dr. Jugenburg. To help with the swelling, you should apply ice packs for the first 48 hours.
You will be up and walking around within a day after your procedure, and you may want to be out of work for up to a week following your surgery. You may be very sensitive over the next 2-3 weeks, and you should avoid any strenuous physical activities. After 3 weeks, you can gradually return to activities like lifting and light exercise, but avoid any high impact activities like jogging for up to six weeks. Full recovery takes from 4-6 weeks, and you can resume sexual activity after 6 weeks.
Vaginoplasty Risks & Complications
Although complications following Vaginal Tightening are infrequent; the following may occur:
- Bleeding which in rare instances could require hospitalization and blood transfusion. Blood clots may form and require drainage.
- Wound dehiscence (break in the closure) may occur. If this occurs, it must be allowed to heal on its own which will delay your recovery. During this time you will experience discharge and will need to clean the area daily.
- Surface irregularities, lumpiness, hardness and dimpling may result. Some problems disappear with time and from massage, although some may persist and additional treatments may be necessary
- Infection is rare but may occur and treatment with antibiotics, antifungals and/or drainage may be required. In rare instances surgery may be required for severe infection.
- Numbness of the skin over treated areas may persist for months. Localized areas of numbness or increased sensitivity may be permanent in rare instances.
- Objectionable scarring is rare because of the small size of the incisions used, but scar formation is possible.
- Dizziness may occur during the first week following Vaginal Tightening surgery particularly upon rising from a lying or sitting position. If this occurs, extreme caution may be exercised while walking. Do not drive a car if dizziness is present.
- Deep Venous Thrombosis, Pulmonary Embolism and Fat Embolism may occur. If left untreated they may be fatal.
There is some discomfort, but it is easily managed with pain medication and ice packs. Most patients stop using pain medication after 4-5 days following surgery.
Generally, the procedure takes about an hour.
It depends on the type of work you do, but most patients can return to work within 3-4 days.
We ask our patients to abstain from intercourse for 6 weeks to ensure the best results, both aesthetically and functionally.
Optimal results are usually achieved within 4-6 months following surgery.
The results of vaginoplasty will last a lifetime. Certainly as we age the body tends to relax, but the vagina will not return to the state it was in prior to the surgery.
All the surgical work with vaginoplasty is internal, so there will be no visible scarring.
Many patients elect to have labiaplasty at the same time as vaginoplasty. You can discuss this with Dr. Jugenburg during your consultation.
As with all cosmetic surgeries, there are some risks involved. These risks include bleeding, infection, swelling, and blood clots, but they are rare. Our operating suite is state-of-the-art, and we do everything we can to minimize the risks associated with surgery. Most importantly, Dr. Jugenburg and his team have various protocols in place to prevent complications from occurring.