What Are the Benefits of Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer?
While not everyone is an ideal candidate for Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation, it does have a number of benefits:
- Breast enlargement using your own fat – the most natural alternative to implants
- No foreign material (implants) are introduced into the body
- Permanent, soft and natural looking results
- Minimally invasive – your recovery will be quick
- Slight asymmetry in your breasts can be corrected
- Two procedures in one – areas of your body are slimmed and your breasts enhanced
- A good alternative for a subtle augmentation, rather than going up several cup sizes
- Ideal for Breast Reconstruction after surgery to remove a lump (a Lumpectomy)
What Are the Results from Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer?
Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer will give a visible enhancement, but will not provide a large increase in breast size. Shape, firmness and fullness are achieved, and since breast implants are not used, the final result is a soft, natural look. The removal of stubborn pockets of fat from elsewhere in your body also allows Dr. Jugenburg to reshape these problem areas that may not have responded to diet or exercise.
Who Is an Ideal Candidate for Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer?
For the right candidate, Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation is a highly effective and minimally invasive volume enhancing procedure. However, women considering a Fat Transfer enlargement must be realistic about their expectations. Those seeking to achieve natural looking, firmer breasts and a modest increase in breast size are generally the best candidates. The breast size is typically increased by about a half to one full bra cup size. In addition, although Fat Transfer will enhance breast shape, especially the cleavage and upper part of the breasts, the breasts should start with a nice shape and have good skin.
Women who have sagging skin, drooping breasts, pronounced asymmetry and/or desire a large increase in breast size are not good candidates for an enhancement procedure with Fat Transfer. If applies to you, as a renowned and highly experienced Cosmetic Breast Surgeon, Dr. Jugenburg performs all other types of breast enhancement surgeries, such as:
For women desiring a large, rounded, push-up look (the Fake look), a Breast Augmentation with Round saline or silicone implants will be required.
The Procedure: Breast Augmentation and Liposuction
Breast augmentation with Fat Transfer is a two-step procedure.
In the first stage of the process, Dr. Jugenburg performs gentle Liposuction in donor areas of your choice (areas of your body from where a suitable amount of fat can be harvested). The most common donor areas are the thighs, the hips and the abdomen. Dr. Jugenburg meticulously sculpts these areas to give you the contours you desire. The Liposuction is performed using a state-of-the-art system that is very gentle and maintains the viability of fat cells. The fat is then gently separated using a separate system and prepared for injection into your breasts.
In the second stage, the fat is carefully injected into your breasts in such a way that facilitates the integration and growth of the fat cells in the breast tissues. Your breasts will be swollen for several weeks after the procedure, which is similar to the effect seen with breast implants. Over time your breasts will become naturally soft and the results should be permanent.
What Are the Risks of Fat Transfer?
Although complications following fat transfer are infrequent; the following may occur:
- Bleeding, which in rare instances could require hospitalization and blood transfusion. Blood clots may form under the skin and require drainage.
- Skin irregularities, lumpiness, hardness and dimpling may result; some problems disappear with time and from massage, but skin irregularities, hardness, lumps, dimpling, or other problems may persist and additional treatments may be necessary.
- Infection is rare but may occur and treatment with antibiotics and/or drainage may be required. In rare instances surgery may be required for severe.
- Fat transfer volume is limited by the amount of fat available to transfer and the need to evenly spread out fat grafts to ensure optimal blood, nutrient, and oxygen supply to the newly transferred fat.
- Some fat will be absorbed by the body, some may form small lumps of fat called ‘fat necrosis.’
- When transferring fat to both sides of the body, some asymmetry between the two sides will be present despite most careful technique.
- Numbness of the skin over treated areas may persist for months. Localized areas of numbness or increased sensitivity may be permanent in rare instances.
- Objectionable scarring is rare because of the small size of the incisions used in fat grafting surgery, but scar formation is possible.
- Dizziness may occur during the first week following fat transfer surgery particularly upon rising from a lying or sitting position. If this occurs, extreme caution may be exercised while walking. Do not drive a car if dizziness is present.
- Deep Venous Thrombosis, Pulmonary Embolism and Fat Embolism may occur. If left untreated they may be fatal.
Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation FAQ
The following questions and answers will give you an insight into the most common concerns among prospective Fat Transfer Breast Augmentation patients. Since fat transfer provides a non-mainstream alternative to the more common use of implants for Breast Augmentation, we have provided extensive information on all aspects of breast implant surgery, which can be found by following the appropriate links. If you have a question that is not answered, please contact us.
For the safest, most aesthetically pleasing results, cosmetic surgery treatments must be tailored specifically to each individual patient. To receive personalized advice for your body, please schedule a consultation with Dr. Jugenburg.
It is possible that some women who are extremely thin may have insufficient fat for addition to the breasts. However, in our experience, the best results are typically achieved in slim women, since their fat is mainly composed of cells. As a woman's weight increases, the fat cells become larger and engorged with oil. Cells containing oil are more fragile and less likely to survive the process of harvesting and grafting. Moreover, the addition of 200 cc’s to the breasts of a thin woman can make a significant difference, while the same amount added to the breasts of a larger woman will be barely noticeable.
The term stem cells has been hyped by the media and is a misleading marketing tactic employed by unethical practitioners who are deliberately exploiting woman with false claims. A standard Fat Transfer procedure will transfer some stem cells naturally present within the tissue, but is not a stem cell procedure.
The procedure is typically 3 hours, but will vary between patients depending on the number of donor areas and the desired outcome.
The recovery from Breast Augmentation with Fat Transfer is typically 2 - 4 days, which is far quicker than after traditional breast implant surgery.
You will see results immediately; however, the look and feel of your breasts will improve as the implanted fat becomes an integral part of your breasts during the weeks and months after treatment.
Possible complications include the risks associated with any surgical procedure. Most patients will experience some discomfort, swelling and mild bruising around the donor and breast areas for 1 - 3 days after the procedure.
At the Toronto Cosmetic Surgery Institute, the focus is always on patient comfort and safety. Dr. Jugenburg will provide full details of any possible complications during the consultation process.
A small dressing will be applied to the injection site on your breasts, which you will need to wear for ten days. Dr. Jugenburg will also prescribe a course of antibiotics to minimize the risk of infection. The donor areas of your body will be supported by a compression garment that will be provided for you. You will need to wear this for at least three weeks after the procedure. During this time, you should also avoid any strenuous exercise and wear a supportive sports bra.