Why Eyelid Surgery?
There are various reasons for having eyelid surgery, and Dr. Jugenburg has extensive experience creating revitalized and rejuvenated upper and lower eyelids for patients. The reasons for wanting blepharoplasty include:
- Hooded eyelids: Having excess upper eyelid skin can lead to hooded lids, which give the appearance of tiredness and fatigue. At the extreme, hooded eyelids can even obscure vision.
- Bags under the eyes: As we grow older, we often develop bags underneath our eyes. It is usually caused by excessive stretching of the lower eyelid layers, and is a problem that is easily reversed with blepharoplasty.
- Sagging skin and wrinkles under the eyes: Laxity of the skin and tissue under the eyes gives an aged appearance, and blepharoplasty is used to smooth the wrinkles.
- Heavy, droopy eyes: Eyelids that have excessive amounts of fat can make you look tired all the time. This fat can be extracted during the surgery, leaving you with a more alert appearance.
Are You a Candidate for Blepharoplasty?
Eyelid surgery with Dr. Jugenburg will leave you with a more youthful appearance. It’s a common procedure for both Asian people, as well as patients age 30 and older, used to repair the effects of aging skin. As we get older, the skin loses it’s elasticity, and when you add in the effects of gravity, excessive skin begins collecting in the upper eyelids, which causes drooping eyelids. For lower eyelids, age causes loosening of the skin and the underlying muscle.
Good candidates for eyelid surgery are adult men and women who have healthy facial tissue and muscles. In addition, candidates for this procedure should have realistic goals as to what the surgery can accomplish.
Candidates for eyelid surgery include healthy patients who have:
In addition, you should:
- Be physically healthy
- Have no serious eye conditions
- Stop smoking at least two weeks before your procedure
How The Surgery is Performed
The surgery is performed using local anesthesia, or under general anesthesia, depending on your specific needs.
Upper Eyelid Blepharoplasty
Dr. Jugenburg will make incisions in the natural creases of the upper eyelid. The excess skin and fat are removed and the incision is closed. By performing the procedure this way, the scars are well hidden when the eyes are open.